News:

Welcome to the new SCdev forums!

Main Menu

Bricked DS Lite (Superpass2 + Supercard)

Started by capsule, April 01, 2006, 08:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capsule

Well, here's a laugh for many of you wishing to get your hands on a DS Lite. I was foturnate enough to pick one up with the new wave of releases from Nintendo yesterday in Tokyo (03/31). I was overjoyed to say the least as I missed the initial two shipments.

So today, I go to flash the flashme V6 firmware onto it:

1. Superpass2 + Supercard.
2. V6 stealth - flashme.nds
3. AC adapter plugged in.
4. Battery firmly in.
5. Boot to Supercard using Superpass2.
6. SL1 shorted using a 3.0mm flathead screwdriver. (same type I have used on my old DSes).
7. Start flashme - X,B,X,B.
8. The process begins and gets to 1%.
9. System suddenly shuts down (horror!).
10. System will no longer boot and I only get black screens.

I have tried to blind boot it and get the flashme going again but I think it is beyond saving...sigh.

X+Y+A+B = no go.
A+B++START+SELECT = no go.

What a fantastic waste of my Saturday afternoon...ugh.
If anyone has any idea as to how I might be able to "unbrick" recover this puppy I'd love to hear it! I have read all the posts thus far and come up empty. Thanks.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

corkster

Maybe it has to do with choosing the Stealth version??
Also, did the battery come out at all, even a little?

As far as bringing it back to life, I know there's a way that involves taking the entire thing to pieces, and a lot of very difficult soldering, and connecting it to a parrallel port cable. Can't remember the link though...maybe someone else has it?

capsule

I had considered the possibility that it may have been the stealth. I wouldn't think that to be the cause but I suppose I'll never know lol. :cry:

The battery was firmly seated and never moved. I had it upside down during the process. Also, the AC adapter was plugged in.

Yes, I have read about the process with attaching a printer cable to restore it back to default. I would love it if there was another process that doesn't require me to open the shell at this point. If not, I may have to go that route.  

Thanks for your reply. Anyone else with suggestions?  :wink:

socket

I read a cryptic message over at dsdev.org that mentioned that dslites, wave 3, were being bricked by flashme... I hope we (especially you who have the issues) can get it worked out.

:(

xbman

No offense, but why would you flash a lite? The current flashme is not 100% compatible with the lite and you lose functionality specifially with the backlight options. Personnaly I wouldn't flash a DS unless there was a flashme specifically for it.

Hopefully you can just exchange it for a new one but if I were you, I would wait for an updated flashme before messing with it. That's just my opinion though.

redcage

Hi Capsule! The same thing happened to me not too long ago.

As I was trying to flash the DS Litem, it went off at 1% as well.
But I was able to boot it up again (I think it was with A+B+Select+Start) though.

I take it that at the current moment, when you turn on the DS Lite, u get the green light(indicating that the power is on) and both the screen are not powered up, right? If that is the case. Then it would be exactly the same for me.

What i did was to hold down A+B+Select+Start before turning the power on and after I did the screen booted up. Do make sure that you are pressing the Select and Start button properly though. The buttos are a bit funny compared to the old DS.

Good Luck with the flashing. Fret not should the DS Lite turns off again while flashing. Just boot up the same way and flash it till it's done.

mrEkli

xbman... Using homebrew without Flashme is very risky as some apps might be trojans. With Flashme it ensures your DS is always safe (emergency flashing system).

hartleyshc

this is an aprils fools joke.

it was originally posted over at gbadev.org but has since been deleted due to it being a serious site.

socket

In the back of my head, I thought it may have been an April fool's joke.. Oh well.

Ouch... funny?

I guess....  :oops:

capsule

Thanks for your replies guys....no this is sadly not an April Fool's joke. I live in Tokyo Japan and don't really adhere to that tradion. I wish it was a joke.
I actually posted there originally but deleted it and posted here as this forum is a lot more lively and I was looking for feedback.

redcage - yes, that's exactly what I get: green power LED and two black screens.  :cry:

I tried the A+B+START+SELECT and attempted to blindly navigate it but sadly no luck. When you booted it up with A+B+START+START did you have your superpass2 in or just your supercard? And when you did the A+B+START+SELECT did the screens come on? Mine stay black...sigh.  :cry:

krzym1

Do you have ONLY flashme.nds on your CF/SD ?

JayPea

Quote from: "socket"I read a cryptic message over at dsdev.org that mentioned that dslites, wave 3, were being bricked by flashme... I hope we (especially you who have the issues) can get it worked out.

:(

Socket, Any chance of a link to this post? I've had a look through and couldnt seem to find the post you are referring to. I have 2 ice blue DS Lites here that I was going to flash. They are likely 2nd wave units as my brother sent them to me last weekend from Tokyo, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks a lot.

PS. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Capsule  :(

scootdog

When you reboot the a+b+start+select with supercard you get 2 black screens, but the menu should still be there.

I had the same thing happen to me when flashing.  I couldn't see the menu, but when I hit a button the first game on my card booted up.  You should just put the flashme.nds file only on the card and try the a+b+start+select again.     That way you can just try and boot without blindly trying to find the flashme file.

When flashing mine also shut off early at 2%.  I had full battery and plugged in power cable.  What caused mine to shut off was I was using a small eyeglasses screwdriver and I stuck it in the SL1 hole like I was going to turn a screw (l), but you want to put it in to bridge the gap (+) and it will work perfect.  Good Luck

Socket,

Why would the message be "cryptic" about the dslites getting bricked?  Also, what is wave 3?

capsule

Hi Scootdog, thanks. Yes, I had done just as you said...with only flashme.nds on the Supercards (wasn't the first time though). Still no dice...no matter what I do it's completely black screens.

I tried flashing it up blind even and still no luck. I also used the same screwdriver as you mentioned and bridged the SL1.

Wave 3 = the 3rd wave of DS Lite's released in Japan (last Friday 03/31). That was my post he was referring to that I previously deleted where I was idly speculating that perhaps the new wave of DS Lites were not flashable. I don't think this is the case (hope not!) but rather an isolated incident with me...but who knows!  :cry:

xbman

Quote from: "mrEkli"xbman... Using homebrew without Flashme is very risky as some apps might be trojans. With Flashme it ensures your DS is always safe (emergency flashing system).

Yes, I know that, but still, I don't see why people would flash it with a version that is not designed for it and would cripple it's functionality. I know I would not flash a DS Lite until a DS Lite verion of flashme was released - but that's just me.